Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Have to 'Get In-Shape' Before I Start CrossFit


If I had a nickel for every time someone told me this, my wife wouldn't be driving a Honda:-)

At first, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes to understand where they are coming from. And then I realize that this statement doesn't even make sense.

Can you 'get in' CrossFit shape by doing the treadmill, bench press, bicep curls, etc...???

Can you 'get in' basketball shape by swimming? 
Can 'get in' a size 4 jeans by eating McDonalds hamburger and fries everyday for lunch?:-O

Let's break this down logically and show you the truth so you will have some ammo the next time one of your friends or acquaintances tries to give you this B.S.

Look in the Mirror: If they are currently working out, apparently what they are doing now is not working, because if they are not in regular shape then how are they going to get in 'CrossFit Shape'? And if they are not working out then obviously the good ole' regular gym is not working either. And you know the old saying, "If you do the same thing over and over and expect a different result that is the definition of insanity. So it sounds like they are the insane one's.

All Levels: It doesn't matter what kind of shape you are in when you start CrossFit. Everyday, every movement, every workout is 100% scalable. And what we mean by scalable is you can adjust the weight, the movement, time, reps, anything according to your current level of FITness. Our goal is to have you complete each workout successfully (safety 1st and effective 2nd).

You will always try to get in 'CrossFit' shape:  COMPARED to what?!?! Truth is, you cannot get in shape for CrossFit at any gym on your own. In fact, even if you go to CrossFit for a very long time, you may not be 'in-shape' for CrossFit as it takes tremendous dedication, diet, skill and time. Yet, you will find success in CrossFit workouts as you can do things you have never done before in your life physically. Frankly some of the people at CrossFit are in freakin' unreal shape with strong muscles, massive lung capacity and big hearts…I do not know how you get that from a few sets of bench press with 4 minute rest in between, a set of 12 curls, some flashy mirrors to watch my form, and a cushy mat in the corner to work my abs.

What's your story: Look, the only way your friends are going to really come is if you walk the walk. That alone will weed out the winners from the people that are just all talk. So if you want your friends to come to CF and believe what you say, then you better be right on par with how great you are explaining CrossFit to your friends.

In the end, they really need a reason, not an excuse: CrossFit is the truth. It will test you physically, emotionally and mentally. There is no easy way to the top. And that applies to CrossFit. CrossFit provides the structure, progressive setup, commardie, challenge and fun that is missing with these kind of people's lives. Understand that it is hard for someone to look at you with all this success you have had and then they look in the mirror and see all the flaws they currently have. Level with them. Tell them how hard it was for you to get started and enlighten them how great it is to be in this place you are today. Talk about how motivated, excited, confident you are. What was your reason for starting CrossFit? Is it still the same? 



P.T.S!

7 comments:

  1. Love this...I started CF at over 300 pounds, a year later I am down over 50 pounds, can run a mile and have more confidence than I ever have. I love EVERYTHING about CF.
    Thanks for this post...I will share with others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! Keep up the great work. Appreciate the comment and spreading the word.

      Delete
  2. Love this!!! Thank you -perfectly stated - going to share this with my box.
    Jennifer
    CF Diamond
    Amityville, NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! Much appreciate the comment and the sharing with your box.

      Delete
  3. I'm reading this all the way from Newcastle Australia and it was only last week I had a client e-mail me to cancel their membership because they said (their words not mine) "I dont think I'm fit enough for CrossFit just yet". I simply replied "no problem. Just so you know you dont have to be "fit" to do CrossFit, that is what we are here for"
    I have not had a reply....obviously she realises I am right!!
    I have Posted this on my FB wall and on our CFA FB fan page in hopes that this person in particular sights and reads it!!
    THANKS RECCO!!!!
    Regards Tuppence (Shannon's wife)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard this many times over the years too. I've always wanted to write about it. Hope it helps. Thank you for commenting and spreading the words. Much appreciated. Best of luck in Newcastle!

      Delete
  4. CrossFit is an exercise that can be very hard on the feet, so having the best crossfit shoes is a MUST! Check out our top rated CrossFit shoes! click site

    ReplyDelete